Ready to get started?
Fill out the form below to get in touch with an enrollment counselor.
- Career-advancing credential
- Specialized coursework in athletic administration
- Conveniently online
- Next Start Date
- March 9
- Est. Program Length
- 1-1.5 years
- Course Length
- 8 weeks
- Cost per Credit
- Credit Hours
- Credits Accepted
*Price reflects tuition for Oklahoma residents. Non-resident tuition is $675.40 per credit hour. There is a non-resident tuition waiver available if certain requirements are met. Speak to an enrollment counselor for more information. An additional semester fee of $7.50 will apply for all students.Request Info
Make Career Advancement Your Goal
The Master of Education in Sports Administration online program from East Central University successfully prepares you to go further in your instructional career. Specifically designed for individuals who want to enter positions of athletic instruction and leadership, this program allows you to move into sports management positions within colleges and universities, as well as professional sports teams.
Offered fully online, this sports management degree allows you to attend school while conveniently keeping work and life commitments. You’ll be taught by expert instructors and have the opportunity to network with your peers while simultaneously gaining a career-advancing credential.
Topics of Study
The master in sports administration online program teaches a host of subjects crucial to success in the field. Some include:
- Facility management
- Legal aspects of sports
- Sports ethics
- Event management
- American society and sports
You will also be required to complete a 100-hour practicum, which will allow you to gain hands-on experience in the field.
When you graduate, you will be able to:
- Understand what constitutes management and what constitutes an organization, learn to apply the functions of planning, organizing, leading and evaluating the goals of sports organizations and understand the concept of strategic planning and resource allocation.
- Understand how individuals conduct descriptive, theoretical and analytical sports management research. You will become familiar with the need for implementing theory, research and practice into areas of sports management.
- Know how to apply various areas of law to the sports industry, understand the court system and how legal issues are decided, understand contract law, tort law, agency law, sex discrimination issues and antitrust laws and understand collective bargaining agreements as a component of labor law.
- Apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sports industry, understand the concepts of marketing and product orientation and know the process of the sports marketing planning model.
- Understand the internal and external factors that shape sport in a culture, how sport mirrors the society in which it exists and why business is involved in sports.
- Understand the steps in developing an organizational budget, how accounting procedures may be used as a tool in finance and how principles of fundraising are used.
- Understand the distinction between concepts of morality and ethics, how personal ethics affect organizational responsibility and how to establish a code of professional ethics.
- Know how interpersonal and mass communication differ, understand the theoretical foundations of mass communications and the mass media industry and understand how business decisions are made.
Courses & Requirements
Our online master’s in sports administration requires a total of 33 credit hours. Students are required to take 6 credit hours of core courses and 27 credit hours of specialization courses.
- EDUC 5113
- EDUC 5133
Techniques of Research
Introduces students to the theory of educational research by developing competencies in literature review, library research, data analysis, research writing, and developing plans for applied or action research. This course will consider the ethics of research with human subjects. Students must earn an “”A”” or a “”B”” in this course. If a “”C”” is received, student will have to retake the course.
Modern Philosophies of Education
Current educational philosophies with special emphasis on those of the United States; provides for understanding of modern education practices.
Students must earn at least a B in EDUC 5113 or will be required to retake it.
- KIN 5303
- KIN 5313
- KIN 5323
- KIN 5353
- KIN 5413
- KIN 5423
- KIN 5513
- KIN 5613
- PSYKN 5523
Introduction to the concepts, aspects, and philosophies of managing sport, fitness and recreational organizations.
Sport Facility Management
Planning, design, management and upkeep of facilities such as gymnasiums, fields, courts, and aquatic centers.
Legal Aspects of Sport
Examination of federal and state constitutional provisions, statutes, judicial decisions, and agency regulations which affect education. Special emphasis upon current and emerging issues.
Ethics in Sports Administration
This course will provide the student with a theoretical base and systematic reasoning tools to address ethical dilemmas in a thoughtful, reflective manner. Focus will be placed on specific issues related to sports such as respect, fair play, honesty, sportsmanship, and responsibility.
Principles of Sport Finance
This course is designed to examine financial concepts in sport with emphasis on various types of budgets, cost control measures, planning and monitoring various account types, and creating annual reports.
Marketing & Event Management
Basic concepts of marketing and management of sport and sporting events and venues, promotion, facility maintenance, fundraising and other income sources, licensing, joint venture agreements and corporate sponsorship will be examined.
Leadership and Personnel Management
This course examines issues of management and organizational behavior within sports administration, with specific reference to issues of staffing, motivation, and communication. Introduces leadership theory, as well as the tools and techniques for its practical applications, including how to most effectively apply leadership theory on a daily basis within a sports organization.
Practicum and Portfolio in Sports Administration
Credit Hours: 3. Lecture Hours 3. Minimum of 100 hours of on-the-job learning experience, related to students career interest. The internship will be specified by the employer/supervisor with consent of the instructor and program director. Provides experiential learning during which the student works under direct supervision. The student is immersed in a variety of intensive work assignments, including: weekly journals, written reports, and various presentations. The student will be evaluated by both the employer/supervisor and instructor. The internship requires prior program approval and a formal agreement among the student, department and employer. Student will formulate and develop an acceptable portfolio according to departmental guidelines.
Sports in American Society
This course examines the influence of the social psychology on sport, the influence of society on sport culture, and how sport affects the social world we live in. Social psychology emphasis will be placed on how sport interacts with gender, race/ethnicity, culture, socioeconomic class, media relations, violence, defiance, and sexuality.
To be accepted into ECU’s sports administration master’s online program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade-point average on all undergraduate coursework to date; or
- Have a minimum 2.75 GPA for the last 60 credit hours of coursework; or
- Have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA for at least 9 credit hours of graduate coursework
How to Apply
To apply, you must submit the following materials:
- Complete application
- Transcripts of all completed work (baccalaureate and graduate) from an accredited institution
- Two references
- A personal statement. Explain your career goals, how an ECU degree will help you accomplish those goals, your interest in the field and any actions you have taken to pursue this interest. You must also describe any skills, attributes or experiences you possess that would aid in your future profession.
Have a question about this program or the admission process? Request a digital brochure and get connected to one of our knowledgeable enrollment counselors.
Tuition & Fees
|Tuition||33 credit hours||$318.25*||$10,502.25|
|Total with transfer credits (up to 9)||$7,638.00|
*Price reflects tuition for Oklahoma residents. Non-resident tuition is $675.40 per credit hour. There is a non-resident tuition waiver available if certain requirements are met. Speak to an enrollment counselor for more information. An additional semester fee of $7.50 will apply for all students.
Fees and tuition subject to change.
At ECU Online, we strive to ensure your education is as affordable as possible. Learn more about your options for financing your education by visiting our Financial Aid page.View Financial Aid
East Central University is a proud military-friendly school. Discover how your status as a U.S. military veteran or active-duty service member can help you earn your degree by visiting our Military & Veterans page.View Military Benefits
Once you earn your online sports administration degree, a host of opportunities open up for your career. Here are just a few:
Athletic coaches are responsible for teaching athletes at their educational institutions. These individuals help students complete physical training, mentor athletic students, oversee sports teams and a host of other duties.
Average annual salary: $40,995
Fitness managers are responsible for all aspects of an athletic facility. They may be responsible for hiring and training staff, maintaining institutional records, educating staff, providing guidance to patrons regarding fitness regimens and other related tasks.
Average annual salary: $42,045
Athletic directors are responsible for coordinating athletic activities for schools and universities. They may be charged with overseeing athletic programs, recruiting student-athletes, ensuring compliance with any school or government regulations, reporting budgets and a variety of other related duties.
Average annual salary: $60,014
All information cited from PayScale.
When you earn a sports administration degree, you are prepared for an array of career possibilities. Some job titles may include fitness professional, athletic coordinator, athletic support staff, sports manager or facilities manager.
Sports administration is an area of study that prepares graduates to become leaders of athletics and fitness. It is a field that emphasizes the management and development of athletes. This might include training, writing contracts, managing rosters or other similar responsibilities.
Graduates who earn a sports administration degree can find employment in a variety of areas within the workforce. These might include sports facilities, fitness clubs, professional athletics, college athletic departments or community athletic associations.
Discover more degree options that help you build a career helping others.View All Education Degrees
Master of Education
- Prepares graduates to become certified principals, vice principals or other administrative roles in K-12 schools
- Can be completed in 18 months
Master of Education
Instructional Design & Technology
- Effectively prepares working educators to serve as specialists in educational technology and instructional design
- Features current, relative and innovative curriculum designed to promote technology leadership
Master of Education
- Readies working educators to sit for their librarian exam and become school library media specialists in grades PK-12
- Offers 40 practicum hours that emphasize all areas of school librarianship, including technology