Ready to get started?
Fill out the form below to get in touch with an enrollment counselor.
- 100% online
- Program completion in one year
- Learn from expert instructors who are working superintendents
- Next Start Date
- June 1
- Est. Program Length
- 1 year
- Course Length
- 8 weeks
- Cost per Credit
- Credit Hours
*Price reflects tuition for Oklahoma residents. Non-resident tuition is $675.40 per credit hour. There is a non-resident tuition waiver available if certain requirements are met. Speak to an enrollment counselor for more information. An additional semester fee of $7.50 will apply for all students.Request Info
Become a Leader in Your District
The online School Superintendent Certificate program from East Central University Online is designed to prepare education professionals for successful careers in district leadership. This post-master’s certificate features hands-on coursework relevant to the demands and challenges of work as a head administrator for your school system. Unlike some online superintendent certification programs, instructors for this certificate are all working superintendents, so you can be confident you’re earning a valuable credential for continued workplace success.
Topics of Study
The superintendent certification online program is the credential you need to pass the Oklahoma certification test for school superintendents and advance your career. You’ll study key topics like:
- School plant management
- Legal aspects of education
- Politics and governance of American schools
Because the program is offered fully online, you’ll have the opportunity to earn your degree without sacrificing work or personal commitments. Study when and where it works for you.
When you complete this program, you will be able to:
- Oversee the management of school facilities, including planning and development, operations, maintenance and fiscal systems.
- Discuss the ethics and legal aspects of education with an emphasis on recent developments in education legislation.
- Understand the structure, organization, politics and multiculturalism of public schools.
- Supervise public school central office administration, improving school climate and culture.
Courses & Requirements
Our superintendent certification online program requires a total of 16 credit hours.
- EDUC 5062
- EDUC 5072
- EDUC 5523
- EDUC 5723
- EDUC 5773
- EDUC 5793
Administration Practicum I
A mentorship program requiring the superintendent candidate to begin development of a portfolio and to receive hands-on training from practicing school superintendent. Observation of and limited participation in the activities of a school superintendent are required. Intern hours are required as a component of this course.
Administration Practicum II
A continuation of the mentorship program that allows the superintendent candidate more exposure in the daily activities of the school leader. Observation and limited participation are required. Intern hours are a required component of this course.
School Plant Management
A study of management of school facilities, including planning and development, operations, maintenance and fiscal systems.
Advanced Legal Aspects of Education
An advanced study of ethics, legal aspects of education with an emphasis on recent developments in school laws including those relevant to the field of special education.
Politics and Governance of American Education
Advanced study of principles and practices of visionary leadership, theory and organizational change; includes the study of the structure, organization, politics, power groups and multiculturalism of public schools.
Principles of public school central office administration, with emphasis on the leadership role of the superintendent in improving school climate and culture.
To be accepted into the ECU Online School Superintendent Certificate program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a master’s degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade-point average on all undergraduate coursework to date.
- Have a minimum 2.75 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework or have a minimum cumulative 3.0 on at least 9 hours of graduate coursework.
Alternative certification candidates must:
- Have two years of relevant work experience in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
- Have received a passing score on the subject area competency exam.
- Submit a plan to the Director of Teacher Education at ECU for completing an alternative certification program within three years.
How to Apply
To apply, you must submit the following materials:
- Online application
- Official transcripts (baccalaureate and graduate) from an accredited institution
- Professional resume
- Two references
- Personal statement including:
- Your career goals and how this certificate will help you accomplish those goals
- Interest in the field and actions you have taken to pursue this interest
- Any skills, attributes or experiences that would aid in your future profession
- Submit one of the following:
- o A standard teaching certificate from any state (non-resident students must ensure their state will acknowledge an out-of-state certificate)
- An alternative education acceptance letter (which must be on file)
Have a question about this program or the admission process? Request a digital brochure and get connected to one of our knowledgeable enrollment counselors.
Costs & Financial Aid
|Tuition||16 credit hours||$318.25*||$5,092.00|
*Price reflects tuition for Oklahoma residents. Non-resident tuition is $675.40 per credit hour. There is a non-resident tuition waiver available if certain requirements are met. Speak to an enrollment counselor for more information. An additional semester fee of $7.50 will apply for all students. Tuition and fees subject to change.
At ECU Online, we strive to ensure your education is as affordable as possible. Learn more about your options for financing your education by visiting our Financial Aid page.View Financial Aid
East Central University is a proud military-friendly school. Discover how your status as a U.S. military veteran or active-duty service member can help you earn your degree by visiting our Military & Veterans page.View Military Benefits
Online superintendent certification programs give you the required credential to advance your career from school leadership to school superintendent.
School superintendents are the head administrators of school systems. They are hired by the school board and are responsible for staffing principals for all schools in their district. Superintendents also work with the school board to maintain budgets, manage hiring and evaluation processes for teachers and address problems within the student body. They help define and implement district goals and policies across all schools.
Average annual salary: $115,793
All information cited from PayScale.
Frequently Asked Questions
A typical ECU Online student pursuing the School Superintendent Certificate also holds a master’s degree and valid standard teaching certificate or equivalent. In addition, most students will have certification as a school principal or meet alternative requirements for school principal certification. Many students will also have two years of successful teaching experience in accredited public or private schools and two years of administrative experience in accredited public or private schools.
ECU Online may accept students who do not meet the above criteria. Speak to an enrollment counselor if you have questions about admission requirements.
This certificate is an ideal way to gain the school superintendent qualifications you need to take the next step in your career. Online delivery allows you to study on your schedule and balance work and personal commitments while you earn this valuable credential. The program is designed for working professionals like you who need flexibility to meet their goals.